German Parade Partizan
- Carried by the bodyguard of Duke August Wilhelm Of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel
- Dated: 1718
- Provenance: Historic Collections of the Dukes of Brunswick
- Literature: Mann, J., ‘Exhibition of Arms, Armour and Militaria lent by HRH The Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg at the Armouries of the Tower of London’ (London, 1952).
The steel spike of flattened diamond section, its base formed as a ducal coronet, the medial ridge of the spike continuing as a junction between the two blades, each of which is cut to form four individual flamboyant flukes. The entire blade fixed to a tapering steel socket decorated with turned mouldings and fitted with langets extending down the wooden shaft that terminates in a conical metal ferrule.
The polished blade etched overall with decoration, either side of the spike’s base bearing a panel ‘en grisaille’ containing the horse ‘forcené’ of Brunswick beneath a ducal coronet; centrally between the two blades, the edges of which a re decorated on both sides with floral gilded tracery, on one side.
The Arms of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel flanked by twin scrolls inscribed, ‘AUGUST WILHELM’ and ‘DG DUX BRUNS: EA LUNEB’ (meaning August Wilhelm, by the Grace of God Duke of Brunswick and Lüneburg) with the date ‘1718’ beneath and, on the other side, a shield containing the monogram ‘HAW II’ (Herzog August II Wilhelm: Duke August II Wilhelm) above a scroll bearing the ducal motto ‘PARTA TVERI’ (‘Defend your Acquisitions’) above the date.
This splendid and almost literally flamboyant parade partisan from the early 18th century is part of an important group of such emblems of authority from the ducal court of August II Wilhelm of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel (1662-1731). There may once have been as many as 60, since one of the four exhibited in London between 1952 and 1953 was engraved with that number on one of its langets.
Source & Copyright: Peter Finer